High Through-Put Screening Core Facility
DIRECTOR: DR. MATT HART
The HTS Facility is a state-of-the-art technological hub that performs HTS of chemical and natural product libraries (we will likely be adding fragment based and miRNA libraries in the future).
We provide lab space, cell culture facilities and a full suite of detection, robotic and imaging equipment designed to facilitate work in microwell plates (96 or 384 well formats) to users engaged in drug and probe discovery efforts. The Facility also assists investigators in the design and development of screen assays that can use all currently available assay readouts and formats.
- Consultation on the design of high throughput assays.
- Biological/Biochemical assay optimization.
- Development, testing and screening of libraries using cell-based high-content imaging, cell-based conventional or biochemical-based screens.
- Cherry-picking of potential lead compounds and identification of lead candidates.
- Development of secondary assays and counter-screens.
Capabilities and Instrumentation
- Cell culture hoods, cell culture incubators, microfuges and centrifuges, liquid nitrogen cryopreservation, refrigerators and freezers.
- Perkin Elmer Operetta high-content imaging system w/ environmental control chamber, rapid microscopic analyses of a wide variety of cell behaviors, wide-field and fluorescence illumination switchable to confocality and 2X, 10X, 20X and 40X objectives, 8 excitation filters and 6 emissions filter to enable the detection of fluorophores ranging from UV to far red. Robotically integrated with both a Liconic cell incubator and an ambient specialized storage device.
- BMG Labtech Pherastar FS multimode plate reader.
- Robotic handling of plates achieved through three Biotek systems; Biotek MicroFill bulk dispenser, Biotek MicroFlo dispenser and Biotek EL406 dual bulk dispenser/microplate washer.
- Agilent Bravo Liquid Handling system.
- Dedicated server, data management and -400c storage.
- Maybridge Hitfinder Library (14,400 compounds)
- Prestwick FDA Approved Chemical library (1200 compounds)
- Chembridge Diverset (30,000 compounds)
- UTSA Select (>1000 unique compounds synthesize locally)
- Texas Native Plant Natural product library (1088 extracts)
The CIDD High Through-Put Screening Core Facility consists of full time, dedicated staff possessing an extensive amount of industry level experience from both the pharmaceutical and contract research areas. The CIDD also has both undergraduate and graduate student researchers supporting program work.